If you are behind on your mortgage, you risk having your home taken away by your bank or lender in a process called “foreclosure.” Foreclosure proceedings take a long time and do not mean you will definitely lose your home, but many prefer to simply avoid the process all together. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to help you stay out of court, such as contacting your loan servicer; asking for a reinstatement; getting a loan modification; or even selling your home. Below are tips on how to avoid foreclosure, including ways to reduce your mortgage and getting help with housing and credit counseling.
- 10 Tips to Avoid Foreclosure
- Alternatives to Foreclosure
- Contacting Your Loan Servicer
- Giving Up Your Home Without Foreclosure
- Housing and Credit Counseling
- How to Avoid Foreclosure
- How to Avoid Foreclosure by Reducing Your Mortgage
- Mortgage Servicers
- Prevent and Manage Foreclosure FAQs
- What are "Anti-Deficiency" Laws?