Are You a Legal Professional?

Is my landlord responsible for repairs?

Houses and apartments require regular maintenance. When you rent, you are not responsible for maintaining the functional aspects of your home, such as plumbing, electricity, and heating. And when flooding, a clogged pipe, or other problems arise, landlords generally must take action.

So what should you do if your apartment or house needs something fixed but your landlord is not receptive? The basics of a landlord's maintenance responsibilities are highlighted below. See Tenant Rights for additional articles.

Lease Agreements and State Laws 

Check whether your lease requires the landlord to repair the particular issue you've discovered.  If the contract does not appear to require this, or simply doesn't address the issue, check the real estate law of your state (as well as local laws) to see whether the law compels the landlord to pay for the repairs in question anyway. Landlords are typically required to make repairs to major problems, including major structural, electrical, and plumbing repairs.

If your landlord refuses to pay or does not respond, you may wish to look into other possibilities such as contacting the local housing authority or filing a claim in court. 

Minor Issues 

As far as minor issues go, it will depend on a number of factors, primarily the lease, as well as local and state laws. If you find that the landlord is required to pay for the repairs, communicate your request to the landlord in writing to ensure that there is a record of your efforts to work the issue out with the landlord. 

Repair and Deduct 

Lastly, one option that may be available is called "repair and deduct". Some state and local laws allow for tenants to hire someone to make repairs, and then deduct the cost from the rent. It is important to note, however, that this option is not always available (for example, for minor repairs), and typically requires that the landlord be provided with adequate notice prior to its use. 

See Landlord Tenant Disputes FAQ or speak with a landlord and tenant law attorney if you have additional questions. 

Next Steps
Contact a qualified real estate attorney to help you
navigate any landlord-tenant issues.
(e.g., Chicago, IL or 60611)

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution