Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Get Legal Help with a Tenants' Rights Issue

Created by FindLaw's team of legal writers and editors.

Getting Legal Help with a Tenant's Rights Issue: The Basics

Maybe you are a tenant and have a legal issue. You've secured your dream condo in a high-priced city. You thought everything was going okay, until you realized that your dream condo was actually infested with termites. You inform your landlord immediately, but he is slow to respond and the problem keeps getting worse.

Maybe you are a landlord who thought they had a good tenant until the tenant simply stopped paying rent, started having loud parties, and generally disrupting the neighborhood.

Whatever your scenario, you should always consider getting legal help with a tenants' rights issue. A lawyer will be able to explain the local laws and how they apply to your situation. Read on to learn more about the importance of having legal advice in a landlord tenant dispute situation.

For tenants who enter into a lease agreement and rent a house or apartment from a landlord, a number of potential legal issues and disputes can arise, and the assistance of an attorney can be a true asset for tenants seeking to protect their legal rights. Whether you need help reviewing or negotiating the terms of a lease or rental agreement, are facing the prospect of an eviction or unlawful detainer action, believe you may be the victim of a fair housing violation, or need help getting your security deposit back from your landlord, having a landlord-tenant attorney on your side can help you get the best possible outcome for your situation.

How a Landlord-Tenant Attorney Can Help

If you are currently involved in a legal dispute with your landlord, or are concerned about your legal rights at any stage in the landlord-tenant relationship, you should speak with an attorney with experience in landlord-tenant law in your state who will evaluate your case with you, to ensure that your legal rights are fully assessed and protected. Whether you face an eviction or just have questions about the terms of your lease, an attorney will take the time to explain the situation and address your concerns.

If a lawsuit becomes necessary, no matter which side you are on (as "plaintiff" or "defendant") a knowledgeable landlord-tenant or real estate attorney can take action on your behalf -- reviewing documents, researching the law, interviewing witnesses, collecting records, conferring with expert consultants, planning legal strategy, and negotiating with landlords, insurers, property managers, and opposing counsel -- all with the goal of strengthening your position and obtaining the best results for you.

Get Legal Help with a Tenant's Rights Issue: Additional Resources

If you have additional questions after reading this article, you are in luck. You can continue your research with FindLaw by clicking on the links below for more information.

Get Legal Help with a Tenants' Rights Issue

While landlords may often hold the upperhand, tenants are afforded certain rights when it comes to rental property. If you have questions about your rights as a tenant or you feel that your rights have been violated, you may want to get in touch with an experienced landlord-tenant attorney near you.

Next Steps

Contact a qualified real estate attorney to help you navigate any landlord-tenant issues.

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution