Tenants' Rights - Forms and Resources
Lease agreements and the landlord-tenant relationship are governed by various state and federal regulations, such as anti-discrimination laws and rules for how security deposits are handled. Below you will find links to state-specific laws and information on common landlord-tenant issues, federal housing information, and more.
See FindLaw's Tenant Rights section for additional articles and resources.
State Landlord-Tenant Laws:
- Chart: Security Deposit Limits, State by State - State-by-state listing of security deposit limits for rental leases.
- What Can a Landlord Deduct From a Security Deposit for Cleaning and Repairs? - Overview of what a landlord generally can and cannot deduct from a security deposit for cleaning and repairs.
- Chart: Deadline for Returning Security Deposits, State-by-State - State-by-state guide to legally mandated deadlines for returning security deposits to tenants at the end of the lease.
- Chart: State-by-State Anti-Retaliation Statutes - State-specific guide to anti-retaliation statutes applicable to the landlord-tenant relationship.
- Chart: Landlord-Tenant Statutes, State by State - Guide to general landlord-tenant statutes for all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
- Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections in Your State (U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development) - State-specific guide to tenant rights.
State-Specific Landlord-Tenant Publications - Consumer-friendly explanations of landlord-tenant laws, arranged by state.
Real Estate Lease Packages and Forms - Do-it-yourself legal forms and packages for lease agreements and other real estate transactions.
- State Housing and Real Estate Agencies - State-by-state directory of state housing and real estate agencies.
- Local Renting Information (U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development) - State guide to rental information.
- State-Specific Resources from HUD - Additional state-specific lease and rental information.
- Housing Discrimination: Federal Laws (FindLaw's Civil Rights Center) - Overview of federal laws prohibiting housing discrimination.